* 2013 DragonCon App is Available – In 2011 DragonCon debuted their ‘app’. It needed some work but was still a hit with attendees. 2012 saw a new and improved app with more functionality and was a ‘must have’ for everyone attending DragonCon. Well, the 2013 version of the DragonCon app is now available here. It still has a lot of updates coming (schedules especially) but you’ll all find loads of stuff that will help you get through the weekend easier. Download it now since once Con begins the servers will be overloaded!!
* A New DragonCon Parade Route – DragonCon has changed the route for the always popular Parade on Saturday morning. Don’t tell anyone but we think they’ve made it longer as well! Make sure to check out the new Parade route here and pick out your new viewing location before the Parade begins!
* Dragon Con Gives Space Track a New, Larger Room! – Yes Space Track fans, it’s true! You’ve voiced complaints about the Space Track room for years now. “It’s too small!” “It’s too hot!” “I couldn’t get it to see the panel I wanted!” You asked for it. Begged for it. Dragon*Con Powers That Be have listened. As of 2013, the Space Track will move into new digs. We will still be located in Hilton Hotel but on the 3rd level not the 2nd. Also, we’ll be in the opposite wing from where we’ve been since 2007. Our new room is actually two rooms that open into one – rooms 309 & 310. The easiest way to get to us is to use the circular stairway in the main concourse area on the 2nd floor. Turn right at the top of the stairs and stay to the right side. The hallway is glass fronted and we’re the first rooms on the left side. Our new digs require a whole new room setup so make sure you come check us out!
* Familiar Faces Return! – We have some familiar faces returning that haven’t been with us for a while. Space Track welcomes back the original Evil Genius Richard “Hawk” Altstatt, Dr. Sarah Milkovich, from JPL, and Michael Laine, of LiftPort, Inc. (space elevator). The last time Michael was at Dragon*Con, Space & Science were still one track!
* Kids’ Workshop On Monday Morning! – Many of you might remember that last year we did a Kids’ Workshop for the first time and it was big hit. So much so that we’re doing another one! Not a repeat but just as fun for the kids. Parents note that the time is Monday morning beginning at 9:30am!!
* ‘The Future of Military Space’ – For the first time Space Track will present a talk on Military Space and we’ve made sure there will be room for everyone by holding it in the Crystal Ballroom, Friday at 8:30pm.
* Empowering Young Women! – We have 9 fabulous women participating on Space Track this year so I’m bringing back a new version of ‘women in science & engineering’. ‘Don’t Call Me Dear, Call Me PhD.octor’ (Friday, 1:00pm) will have 4 female Ph.D’s giving their insight and experiences on succeeding in fields that many women are still discouraged from studying! Parents, teachers, or anyone with influence on young women, we encourage you to attend.
* Solar System Sunday – Space Track is also trying something new this year – one day devoted to talks on one theme. On Sunday, all talks will be Solar System related beginning with the Sun and working outwards as the day progresses. The talks will be very diverse and not simply focused on each planet. It will be a long day with the final talk given by Trina L. Ray, at 11:30 pm. Live Astronomy will begin at 12:30am. I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks about this idea of a ‘theme day’ once Con is over.
So, dig in Space Fans! Start planning your weekend now and we look forward to seeing you all at the Space Track –